At Playful Learning we are committed to providing a safe and joyful place for children to discover, grow, and learn together during these unprecedented times. To ensure that this happens, it’s going to take a sincere community effort by all of us to adhere to a common set of safety guidelines and keep lines of communication open.
It’s important to emphasize that we are a symptom-free school. As parents, you are our best line of defense. Please do not send your child to school with ANY symptoms (fever, sore throat, cough, runny nose, stomachache, etc.). Although there will be times when this will feel like a great inconvenience, children who come to school with ANY symptoms will be sent home (see more details below). This is the single most important thing we can do to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Please review our safety protocols below carefully, and let us know if you have any questions or need clarification. We have a lot of amazing learning experiences planned for the year ahead, and it’s important that we all stay healthy and happy 🙂
Mariah & The Playful Learning Team
- All children attending our Preschool or Summer Labs will be required to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or at-home molecular) and submit results within 24 hours before their first day of attendance. *Requirements for testing change according to fluctuations in local case counts.
- Parents can take their child to any certified COVID-19 testing location. Proof of the negative result must be uploaded to Brightwheel before the first day of attendance.
- Playful Learning accepts PCR or at-home molecular tests from Lucira or Cue.
- During times of increased local cases, teachers will be tested every Monday before coming to the studio.
- We have installed three hand sanitizing stations at our front and back entrances and back gate.
- Children, staff, and parents will be required to sanitize hands before entering the building and immediately wash their hands before entering the classroom.
- Children and staff will thoroughly wash hands after every activity period, before/after snack, after bathroom use, and after outdoor time.
- Staff will be trained to ensure that proper hand washing and sanitizing procedures are followed effectively by their students.
- ALL areas in the studio, supplies, and toys will be disinfected daily with a 70% Isopropyl Alcohol solution, approved by the EPA for COVID-19 disinfection use.
- EACH classroom will have a “sanitation caddy” that includes hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray, wipes, gloves, face masks, tissues, and paper towels.
- ALL teachers will disinfect any/all shared surfaces and supplies at their location between activity periods.
- All bathrooms, surfaces, and common areas will be disinfected routinely throughout the day.
- Staff will always wear proper PPE items when cleaning & sanitizing.
- We use a Merv 13 filter on our central air and heating system, keep windows open all year, and have Molekule air filtration units in each classroom.
- All teachers and staff will be required to wear face masks when engaged with children throughout the day.
- All adults entering the building will be required to wear face masks.
- Masks are optional for children.*
*Face mask requirements are based on local case counts of COVID-19 and may fluctuate throughout the year.
- Weather permitting, snack will be eaten outdoors in our beautiful shaded picnic table area. There will be assigned tables and times for each class. During inclement weather, snack will be served inside using acrylic dividers.
- Daily snacks consist of organic foods such as fresh vegetables and fruits, various salty chips and crackers, and protein such as hummus, yogurt, or cheese sticks. We will provide water in disposable cups.
- We often make snack from our own garden. When children engage in the preparation of snack, they will make and eat their own individual servings.
- Teachers will wear gloves and masks during the preparation and serving of snack.
- The tables will be properly cleaned and disinfected between each snack period.
We are currently limiting enrollment in order to reduce our class size to 6-12 children/class. This small-group experience will allow for greater open space in our classrooms, and a more personalized learning experience for the children. We have also made classroom modifications such as removing furniture, spreading tables out for individual seating, and providing acrylic dividers (shields) at tables that seat more than two students. The classes will not intermingle with one another.
We make sure our students get plenty of fresh air! Our studio garden and outdoor classroom brings the natural environment into our learning experiences through daily nature explorations and investigations. These experiences spark curiosity, nurture a spirit of adventure, and instill a love of the natural world. We spend approximately one hour per day (of a three-hour day) outside all year.
START AT HOME
- Playful Learning is a symptom-free school and parents are our first line of defense – please DO NOT send your child to the studio if he/she has ANY symptoms. If a child comes in with ANY symptoms, they will be sent home.
- If a child is sent home with symptoms or stays home due to illness, they must have a doctor’s clearance and/or negative COVID-19 test (PCR or Molecular NAAT Rapid – we also accept results from Lucira and Cue at-home tests) before they return.
- A daily health questionnaire will be emailed to all families each morning and must be returned digitally before your child arrives at the studio.
- Classes have staggered drop-off times to decrease exposure at arrival.
- Markers will be placed outside to designate where to wait in line (6 feet apart) as children enter the studio, one-by-one. We installed a new gate, for added security in our front courtyard.
- Upon arrival at the studio, children will be screened for symptoms and go through a temperature check using a touchless thermometer—any child with a temperature over 100 will not be allowed in the studio.
- Parents/caregivers will say good-bye to their child at the front door or back gate.
- Parent access to the studio will be limited. All adults who enter the building must: be vaccinated, sanitize hands, have their temperature taken, and wear a face mask.
- If you anticipate that your child may experience separation anxiety, please arrange to bring them in for a private tour of the studio before the first day. Dropping your child off at a familiar place will help ease the transition.
- Teachers and staff will be trained on how to monitor children’s wellness throughout the day (i.e. lethargy might indicate a fever).
- A daily health questionnaire will be emailed to all staff each morning and must be returned digitally before they arrive at the studio.
- Upon “signing in” each morning, all staff members will be screened for symptoms and perform a temperature check using an infra red touch-less thermometer. Any staff member with a temperature over 100 will not be allowed in the studio.
- All staff are required to notify Playful Learning if any child or family member tests positive for COVID-19.
- If a child develops symptoms during their time at Playful Learning, they will be safely isolated in a comfortable space or in a shaded, outdoor spot—until parents/caregivers arrive.
- Any child who is sent home with symptoms will be required to be cleared by a physician and/or a negative COVID-19 test before returning to school (PCR or Molecular NAAT Rapid – we also accept results from Lucira and Cue at-home tests).
- If a parent reports to us that they are keeping their child home with symptoms, they will be required to be cleared by a physician and/or a negative COVID-19 test before returning to school.
- In addition to being cleared by a physician, children must be FEVER FREE for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducer.
- If your child suffers from seasonal allergies and related symptoms, please submit a letter from your doctor.
If a student at Playful Learning is exposed to COVID-19, he/she must:
- Quarantine for 5 days.
- Take a PCR or Molecular NAAT Rapid test on day 5 after exposure.
- Recommended: wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days.
- Be monitored for symptoms for 14 days.
If a teacher or staff member at Playful Learning is exposed to COVID-19:
- Fully vaccinated individuals who received a booster, are within 5 months of completion of the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna, are within 2 months of the primary series of Johnson and Johnson, or are <90 days from a previous infection and have been exposed to COVID-19, may not be required to quarantine if they can self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and:
- Test negative on day 1 and 3-5 days after exposure.
- Properly wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days.
- Monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
- All other staff must:
- Quarantine for 5 days.
- Take a PCR or Molecular NAAT Rapid test on day 5 after exposure.
- Wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days.
If a student or Playful Learning staff member contracts COVID-19:
- Person must isolate for 10 days beginning on the first day of symptoms or positive test.
- Person must be fever and symptom free for 48 hours in addition to the 10 day isolation above.
- All members of our community are required to notify Playful Learning if any child, staff member, or family member tests positive for COVID-19.
- All exposed families and staff within the school will be notified immediately.
- A full email update will be sent to the school community, but the privacy of the individual will be kept under strict confidentiality.
If a student’s household member contracts COVID-19:
- If the household member cannot isolate from the child while ill, then the student’s quarantine (7 days with test on day 5 or after) will start on day 6, after the household member’s symptom onset or a positive test.
- If the household member can isolate from the unvaccinated child, then the student’s quarantine (7 days with test on day 5 or after) can start the day after the last exposure.
If there is an uptick in Covid-19 cases and we feel the need to reduce exposure, Playful Learning will flip to a hybrid model of learning. Each student and family will receive:
- A personalized learning plan that will consist of online lessons and printable activities.
- Lessons-in-a-Bag containing hands-on projects that can be picked up curbside and completed at home.
- Digital Portfolio for tracking growth.
*If we are legally mandated to close and you decide not to participate in our hybrid or online learning programs, you will be eligible for a pro-rated refund or credit.