Back to School Books
One of the best ways to help ease your child’s worry as they head back to school is to read books. Be sure to choose books with themes such as:
- Facing fears
- Navigating big emotions
- Trying something new
- Being a good friend
Talk about how the characters in these stories are feeling and see if your child feels the same way. Share how you’ve felt when you’ve had to start something new or meet new people for the first time. Reassure your child, validate their feelings, and answer their questions. Remind them that school is a place to make new friends, learn, and have fun!
Here are some of our favorite Back to School books:
1. A Letter From Your Teacher on the First Day of School, written by Shannon Olsen and illustrated Sandie Sonke
2. The Kissing Hand, written by Audrey Penn and illustrated by Ruth E. Harper and Nancy M. Leak
3. Lola Goes to School, written by Anna McQuinn and illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw
4. Llama Llama Misses Mama, written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney
5. You are Ready! The World is Waiting, written and illustrated by Eric Carle
6. Schools First Day of School, written by Adam Rex and illustrated by Christian Robinson
7. Be Brave Little One, written and illustrated by Marianne Richmond
8. See You Later, Alligator, written by Sally Hopgood and illustrated by Emma Levey
9. Be You!, written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds
10. I Will Be Fierce!, written by Bea Birdsong and illustrated by Nidhi Chanani
Check out our comprehensive list of Back to School Books, in addition to the ones above, and share them with your child as they transition back to the classroom this fall. Which favorite titles would you add to the list?
* This post contains affiliate links.