Crazy About Carrots
Dive deeper into the world of farming by spending time learning about carrots! Here is a list of resources that make us crazy about carrots:
- Peeler – We love this child friendly peeler, because it not only helps teach a practical a life skill but is also a super sneaky way to add in some fine motor practice.
- Too Many Carrots by Katy Hudson – This is a very sweet book about a rabbit who loves carrots a little too much. Pair this book with Counting Carrots, our lesson about counting collections of carrots.
- Carrot Seeds – It’s hard to learn about carrots without actually planting carrot seeds! This organic seed packet provides the perfect way to help children experience the growing process from beginning to end.
- Miniature Carrots – Help children develop number sense and observe their counting strategies with these adorable tiny carrots. Offer them in a small bowl alongside our Counting Strip.
- Carrot Containers – Fill these cute, clear, carrot containers (say that three times fast) with tiny objects and wooden letters before putting them into a sensory bin.
- Colors of Carrots Printable – Learn about the many colors of carrots and practice color words by printing out this gorgeous printable in our Colors of Carrots lesson.
- Roots by Vijaya Khisty Bodach – When it’s time to learn about a plant’s root system, this is the book to use. The clear photographs, cross sections, and simple text make it really easy for children to understand this complex process!
- Carrots Grow Underground by Mari Schuh – Have this book handy, and use it as a resource, when talking about the different parts of a carrot.
- The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss – This classic story is a must read when children plant that very first seed. It’s the story of a boy who plants a carrot seed, carefully tends to it, and waits … until something magical happens.
- Vegetable Chopper – This is a strong, durable, and easy-to-use vegetable chopper when teaching children how to chop up their own healthy snacks. It also makes fancy cuts and wavy edges which makes chopping carrots even more exciting!